Don't Trash the 'Nati

Sunday, October 09, 2005





At long last, I became sick of everybody in Cincinnati asking if I have tried their god-damned chili already. I woke up and said, "Today's the day."

Cincinnati has two main Chili joints, "Skyline" and "Gold Star." These can be found all over the city of Cincinnati, as well as the surrounding vicinity. To keep this in perspective, there are ZERO McDonalds within walking distance of my apartment. There are 5 Skyline Chilis and 4 Gold Star Chilis. This is an absurd amount of chili.

Also keep in mind that this is not Chili like we regular folks think of Chili, oh no, this is Cincinnati style chili. I don't know how to describe it, but they use Cinnamon and nutmeg in it and do not use Jalapenos. (This is the reason I have put off trying this mythical "Chili.")

We went to Skyline, since it is often touted as the classier of the two. The menu consists of five items: Chili on hot dogs topped with a mound of cheese, Chili on spaghetti noodles topped with a mound of cheese, Chili on french fried topped with a mound of cheese, salad, and Black Bean Burrito. (Seriously, that is it!) I tried to get the most out of our experience, and went with the classic, which was the chili on the spaghetti noodles. Todd got the hot dogs. We took pictures to document the experience. In case you were wondering, yes it was pretty gross, and I would only go back if I was really drunk. I do, however, have to try Gold Star now, because everybody says that it is very different.

3 Comments:

At 2:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kim, dear I miss you apparently none of my comments have posted...boo

But there is a skyline chilli in Lansing, fricken downtown Lansing, you DID not have to go to Over the Rhine to experience it, therefore, you should come back here.

The end.

 
At 7:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt W. made me go to the skyline chili in lansing one memorable afternoon. i'm a frickin vegetarian....so i at the black bean burrito. it tasted like burnt mud. that place blows

 
At 8:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lauralai, since when are you veg? Welcome to the fold, lady.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home