Don't Trash the 'Nati

Monday, December 11, 2006

I frequent a small branch of a local bank in my neighborhood. When I first opened my account I spent a lot of time with a woman who seemed to be the bank manager. I talked to her about my job market frustrations and she encouraged me to apply for a job with the bank. She was a very kind lady. She is always there when I go into the bank and she recognizes me and greets me by a name that is never my own. I've been called Kristin, Ashley, and Liz. I usually correct her but she never seems to retain my real name. I don't think she's ever gotten it right.

Today she greeted me, "Hello Ashley!" I responded by saying, "Oh...HI!" I paused after Oh, debating about whether or not to correct my name and decided not to. I went to the counter, made my deposit, and as I was leaving she stopped me. "Why didn't you tell me I called you by the wrong name?" She really wanted an answer...she wasn't being rhetorical. "Umm," I stammered, "I thought it would be rude to correct you." (AGAIN, I was thinking...AGAIN!)

It was an awkward interaction and I think I'm going to be avoiding my bank branch for a little while.

2 Comments:

At 11:30 AM , Blogger Todd said...

I don't think it's rude to correct them for calling you by the wrong name. I'm sure they would find it strange if "Ashley" was trying to cash a check made out to a "Kim," don't you think?

 
At 7:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. My co-worker calls me Stacey all the time, despite the fact that I wear a 3x5 card with my first name written in giant block letters so that all the memory and vision impaired people know who the hell I am. I mean, come on. I'M WEARING A GIANT NAME TAG. READ THE NAME TAG.

Kate

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home