Don't Trash the 'Nati

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

I am a big cry baby.

So I decided to start looking for jobs to tide me over until I find "the dream job." I woke up early and sent an e-mail to Todd's Boss' wife about the administrative assistant (secretary) job. Then I went downtown to apply at Macy's and Saks. Everything was going hunky-dorey at Macy's, I was chit chatting with the human resources folks, getting in good with them.

I went to Saks, they had more job openings, and I felt pretty good about that one as well. When I was done with my application, the HR woman asked if I had retail experience, I said that I did, so she said, let's chat. Uh oh. She asked "Tell me about yourself." I did. She then opened up my application to see that I have a bachelors degree. Dum duh dum dum. "You have a degree, what makes you want to work in retail?" I talked about disliking my work at the House of Representatives, that I like to be around people. I'm new to town, and I would like to be working. People shopping tend to be happy people...yadda, yadda. She said, "Kim, I'm a mother. I would hate for my children to be settling, or doing something they don't want to do. That being said, our employees make a good living, and many of them have degrees, we hire special kinds of people. I think you are lovely, I would be happy to pass your application along to our managers, and I think you could be hired. However, take my card, and call me on Thursday to tell me if you would still like me to pass along your application. I'm not sure if this is what you want to do...I don't want you to feel like you are settling. Go home, check the internet for other jobs first."

At least I waited until I was back in my car before I started bawling. She is so goddamn right.

I didn't stop crying all afternoon.

My eyes still hurt from all my crying.

So what's a girl to do?

1 Comments:

At 2:10 PM , Blogger Ashley said...

I'm sorry you're having such a tough time. I wish I had some great words of wisdom that could help. You should never settle for anything, but maybe the job is more of a compromise for now and something to pass the time while you search for your dream job. Keep your head up. You're meant for great things and they will happen when you least expect it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home