Don't Trash the 'Nati

Monday, April 17, 2006

Soooo, I am kind of concerned. My aunt made a comment in an e-mail that I am her first-born niece. Which is...not true. I am, in fact, her second eldest niece, and the third if you count my male cousin. This is strange and I don't know how to correct her. In fact, my uncle made the same mistake recently. So I've made a timeline - I'm thinking of mailing it to them anonymously or doing a presentation at Thanksgiving:

October 1955 - Grandparents get married
August 1956 - My mom born
August 1957 - Aunt Janet born (mom's sister)
January 1959 - Uncle Steve Born (mom's brother)
August/March sometime in the 1960's - Aunt's Mary and Theresa were born
September 1971 - Aunt Patty born
January 1973 - Uncle Matt Born
October 1980 - Aunt Janet married
November 1981 - Mom married
January 1982 - Cousin Andrea born (Janet's child)
August 1983 - Cousin Brian born (Janet's child)
September 1983 - Me born!

Anyway, the point of this exercise is to show that I am not, in fact, the oldest grandchild, or niece. I am not 25 years old which my family seems to think I am. In fact, my parents haven't even been married for 25 years yet, let alone 25 years plus 9 months.

Maybe they are confused since my mom is the oldest child, and I am her oldest child. But...that still doesn't make me the first born.

How do you correct somebody when they make a mistake like that? I mean, it's kind of embarrassing for them. I don't think I will forget MY nieces and nephews birth order. Hell, I know all my cousins' birthdays! Maybe I am just special and I should preen around pretending to be first born grandchild royalty.

ANYWAY - I am kind of waiting for the shit to hit the fan even more. I don't think my grandma realizes that when we say we want to have the wedding at the Detroit Symphony, we really want to have the wedding ceremony at the Detroit Symphony. Not a Catholic Church, not a chapel, no catholic priest, no sacraments, not genuflection, no transubstantiation. NADA! SECULAR. I mean, we will be doing a reading about how marriage is a civil rights issue. This will NOT be a Catholic wedding by any stretch of the imagination.

Sooo...I hope she doesn't leave, or not show up, or tell me that I have shamed and brought disgrace to the family. Because right about now that is what I am thinking will happen.

In other news, my mom and Todd's mom have joined forces into some kind of Mother-in-law tag-team power duo. They are like a Power Ranger villain that snaps together with other villains to become a giant, fire breathing, laser pointing, squid (or in their case, Mother-in-law, but really Squid is more realistic).

1 Comments:

At 8:59 AM , Blogger Pot and Lid said...

if it makes you feel better, my aunt forgot to invite me to a bridal shower for my soon to be sister-in-law and is now mad at me for not coming. YOU DIDN'T INVITE ME. Yours get confused about birth order... mine forget i exist.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home