Don't Trash the 'Nati

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

To say that I was dreading today would be an understatement. I had to do 6 presentations in a row at a local high school. It was going to be a long, challenging day.

When each classroom walked in, and individual students saw my name and agency on the board, they rolled their eyes at me, or made some kind of a verbal disapproval of me being in the classroom today.

However, within minutes of me beginning my presentation the students were all listening closely, eagerly raising their hands to participate. When the first activity ended a student in every classroom, male and female, said "That was so much fun! Can we do that tomorrow?" In the middle of the presentation I looked out at the students and every one of them was paying close attention, looking me directly in the eye, and really digesting what I was saying. I even got to do a little address to the males which I rarely get a chance to do. I told them that we needed more males to help end domestic violence - to speak up when their peers are being controlling and perpetuating violence, and in each classroom I saw a few boys perk their ears up, nodding, looking genuinely interested. I could see the lightbulbs going off over their heads.

I even had students(both male and female) come up to me afterward and thank me for coming or share a story about a friend. In one classroom I even had a female student disclose to the whole class about an abusive relationship she is currently in. I've had private disclosures in the past, but never a disclosure in front of the whole class. It was so powerful.

It was such a positive day. I'm sorry to be leaving this work, but I know that I am going in the right field for me. Every day next year won't be as
positive as today but I know that I will be an effective teacher.

2 Comments:

At 5:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

man, I wish I could sit in on one of these presentations. it would be so fun to see you in action!

 
At 1:40 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's great!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home