Don't Trash the 'Nati

Monday, October 17, 2005

The most tragic thing has happened. I came home from work on Saturday (which is tragic enough) only to find a big sign on the front door of Coopers (the bar next door with the fabulous calzones) saying that they were going out of business. OH NOOOOO! It was always so cool to say that I was going next-door for a drink, and now I can't do/say that anymore. Todd and I just ate there last week and nobody said a word to us about closing down. I feel so cheated, like an old friend moved away and never told me.

Today I went to the Cincinnati NOW executive board meeting (they call it something else, but I am still living in my Women's Council fantasyland). At the last regular meeting, they asked me to write something for the newsletter and come to this special meeting. I think it was all a set up because when I got there they began to talk about elections and conveniently had the position of Vice President open. Then as they were saying, "now who can we get to run for that position...." everybody looked up at me and said, "Kim?" Ahhhhrg! I was totally set up! I am honored, though, and I will run for the position. I suppose it is pretty impressive that I have only been to three meetings and they want me to run for a leadership position. Then again, Women's Council was always looking for fresh blood. I see right through their sneaky tricks...I invented those tricks.

The temp job is going well. It is very tiring to adjust to working 48 hours a week after being unemployed for 2 months. (I am working all day Saturday at the shoe store as well.) I pretty much learned today that I wouldn't be a candidate for the specific job I am doing right now, but they want me to apply for another Administrative Assistant job. I'll do it, but I'm not happy about it. I finally met my boss character. He is a decent enough guy, and when he learned about my degree he said straight out, well, this isn't what you want to do with the rest of your life, is it? Oh course it isn't douche-bag. Who dreams of being a temporary secretary when they grow up? He did take the time to sit down and find out more about me, and I wonder if he would be kind enough to keep his eyes peeled for positions I might be qualified for. Probably not. I think I impressed him, though. So, until I am abruptly asked to leave, I will enjoy earning $12.50 and hour doing easy work.

1 Comments:

At 10:45 PM , Blogger Dana K said...

Dammit. And you promised to take Mo and I there.... or was it the gay karaoke bar?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home