Don't Trash the 'Nati

Thursday, January 05, 2006

I haven't updated my blog because I have been quite busy. I've started my new job and it is strange to actually have to do things at work. The good thing is that time goes by so quickly when you are keeping busy. I started on Tuesday and was greeted by my very own corner office with a window that gives me a view of Mt. Adams, the county jail and the expressway. Hey, it's better than a brick wall or no window!

The previous occupant of my office was a total slob and left the office in complete disrepair. I've been spending quite a bit of time tidying up, throwing away unneeded papers, filing important stuff and cleaning the layers of dust and grime off of everything. I already have plans to bring a plant or two into my office as well as some pretty tablecloths to cover up the old, chipped non-profit office furniture.

I'm enjoying myself so far, there are about 23 people who work here, and I haven't met them all yet since many people spend most of their time not in the office. I like the people I am going to be working most closely with and I've taken a liking to a lady on the other side of the office named "Consuela" who has waist-length dredlocks and wore argyle tights yesterday. As you can tell, the dress code is quite lenient, but we aren't allowed to show any clevage (at all), so I have been spending a good deal of time fretting over my clothes in the morning trying to make sure that they are modest enough. The woman who works next to me is quite loud and has this totally fakey voice. She spends her time making phone calls and buttering people up so they will donate money. I wish she would close her door. The woman across the hall is very nice and I anticipate we will be good chums.

I'm getting business cards made wth my name and title (Volunteer and Education Coordinator), I am going to feel so grown up when they arrive. I have been reviewing my benefits and I get 16 days of paid vacation plus 10 holidays and 5 sick days this year - each year the number of vacation days goes up. It's really quite amazing to me; I feel kind of guilty for some reason. I mean, they are going to PAY me to NOT work 26 days this year?!?! Amazing!

1 Comments:

At 11:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the non-profit ranks. Hooray for 501(c)(3) folks!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home