Don't Trash the 'Nati

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

I'm not sure if what I just experienced was rudeness or if I committed some kind of bridal faux pas that I was unaware off. I was able to take 4 hours off of work this morning to go wedding dress shopping (alone) before my sister comes in to town. I wanted to look around, try things on, feel it out before bringing my sister into the mix. I assume that is reasonable. I was treated as though I was going to make a purchase today even though I told them I was just trying things on to see what styles I liked on my body. I pulled some things off the rack that I liked and didn't even look at price tags. When I began to try on dresses the sales associate told me to "strip down to my skivvies" and proceeded to put the dress/bra on me. Hello! That made me uncomfortable, but I just went along with it.

The third dress I tried on was this super luxurious Amy Michaelson dress. We were both fawning over it and I glanced at the price tag. Whoops! She said, "should I set this one aside?" I said, "Sure, if you can make it about $3,000 cheaper." She did not find that funny. She got really quiet and said, "exactly what IS your price range?" "Well, I really don't want to spend any more than $1,000." (LIE! I really don't want to spend more than $600) From that point on she wouldn't even LET me try on any dresses that were more than $1,200.

So, did I commit some big faux pas? Was I supposed to be checking tags before I tried things on? There was no way I was going to spend any money today, so I didn't think it would matter. I didn't intend to waste her time. Are there really people who go into a store for the first time, try one three dresses and buy one that day? I thought that was half the fun, you have an excuse to try on ridiculously overpriced things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home