Don't Trash the 'Nati

Thursday, February 09, 2006

I wish that I was in Torino. I love watching the Olympics, but watching them also makes me feel all sad that I can't be there to feel the buzz and excitement. I wonder if I would be able to convince Todd to go to the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing. We are already tentatively planning to go to the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, but I don't think I can wait that long. (In case you are wondering, I am kind of a walking encyclopedia of Olympic locations. Go ahead, test me.)

I turned on the TV this morning and filled with anger as I saw Matt Lauer and Katie Couric on TV from Torino, Italy. Matt Lauer was interviewing the members of the U.S. Olympic Committee and he referenced a statistic that says that after a country hosts the Olympics, that country's number of medals tends to decrease by 20% at the next Olympic games. Since the U.S. hosted the last Olympics, that would mean our number of medals would probably be fewer than in 2002. Lauer asked the U.S. Olympic committee if they would be upset if our number decreased that dramatically. Big freaking deal, Matt Lauer! Let the Fins and the Swedes have their damn medals! Does the U.S. have to dominate everything?!? Matt Lauer then said that when it comes to Olympics, the rest of the world is rooting against us because we have so much money and it gives our athletes an unfair advantage. That is bull-shit. The rest of the world roots against us because we are arrogant and ignorant and cocky mofos. Believe me, it has nothing to do with money. Should the world root against Norway because they have so much snow? Should we root against Switzerland because they have so many mountains? Should we root against Canada because they have miles and miles of frozen maple syrup ponds to play hockey upon?

2 Comments:

At 11:07 AM , Blogger Linne said...

As a Finn, I just say: Let the best win ! (without no doping, tnx) and definitely no prejudices agains US. People who think that way you told, in fact they belittle the meaning of fair sports....

 
At 10:55 PM , Blogger Dana K said...

I was just telling Kevin yesterday how much you love the Olympics!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home