Don't Trash the 'Nati

Saturday, May 12, 2007

My wedding dress needed a few minor alterations and a seamstress in Cincinnati was going to charge me $350 for them. My mom offered to do them for free.

I went into town April 14 so that she could look at the dress, pin it and get started on it with plenty of time before the wedding.

It is now a month later, May 12 and my mom has not begun working on the dress. In fact, even though the wedding is exactly 2 weeks away, my mom has a garage sale planned for next weekend. When I gently suggested that might not be the best idea since I would really like my dress to be done earlier than the night before the wedding, she snapped at me and said that she HAD to do a garage sale because she didn't do any last year and things are beginning to pile up.

Indeed. Clearing the junk out of your house via garage sale one week before your daughters wedding is probably more important than hemming her wedding dress.

I told her that it sounds like she'll probably be working on the dress the night before my wedding and she said, "yes, probably."

I want to cry.

So much for getting it cleaned and pressed before I wear it. I'll be lucky if it is even intact.

Time for a back-up plan? Maybe a new dress?

1 Comments:

At 2:09 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Kim,

I am so sorry to hear about your dress. I don't know if this will help you either take it less personally/give you an alternative plan, but one of my mom's coworkers contracted with your mom to have her daugther-in-law-to-be's wedding dress altered. Long story short, three days before the wedding, your mom said she was too busy and couldn't do it. They found a really nice, reasonable seamstress to do it in Dearborn at the very last minute. Do you want her number as a backup? I'll grab it from my mom, so if you do want it, just give me a call 989.533.9822.

Hang in there! And whatever happens, know you'll look great, even if you wear jeans and a white t-shirt.

Kate

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home