Don't Trash the 'Nati

Thursday, June 22, 2006

I was leaving work a few days ago and I was in the elevator with one of our new volunteers. We were making small talk and she asked me what church I went to. (that's a Cincinnati question for ya!) I was slightly embarrassed and didn't know how to respond, so I said that I didn't go to any church. I suppose it was a nicer thing to say that "I'm an atheist." It bugs me that I even feel like I need to apologize for my religious beliefs but I'll save that for another day. This woman, (who is a lovely person) was visibly surprised and said, "Oh my goodness, I wouldn't have guessed you just have this spiritual apostolic glow about you. What church did your parents attend?" Okay, at this point I was thinking, nosey, nosey... "They were Catholic...I was raised in the Catholic church but I don't consider myself Catholic." At which point this woman couldn't seem to contain her surprise and squeaked out "Catholic?!?!?" Uh huh.

I don't quite understand her point other than she must think that Catholics are joyless and not spiritual as I seem to be. Interestingly anybody who knows me knows that I am so not spiritual. I don't do anything that could be considered spiritual; I'm surprised that I give off that vibe. Maybe it's because my boss has created such a strict dress code at work I am forced to dress like a pilgrim...or at least one of those really strict denominations of Christianity. Maybe that's why she thinks I'm religious.

1) My Blue Hawaii - The Future Bible Heros
2) Fill your heart - David Bowie
3) Holland, 1945 - Neutral Milk Hotel
4) Sweet Spots - The Fiery Furnaces
5) One Man Guy - Rufus Wainright
6) Wasted and Ready - Ben Kweller
7) Nothing can change this love - Sam Cooke
8) That'll be the day - Buddy Holly
9) Fear - Sarah McLachlan
10) Tres Bien - Le Tigre

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home