Don't Trash the 'Nati

Friday, November 17, 2006

Being the giant dork that I am, each year I eagerly await the unveiling of the new stamps for the following year. Well USPS you really disappointed me this year. 2007's stamps look like they were designed using only a focus group of people age 70+. And I tend to like things geared toward the elderly!

Let's go through next years stamps, shall we?
1. Hershey's Kiss stamps - Okay, these are mildly fun. I will most likely buy these, but only one design? Come on, would it kill you to maybe do a Hershey's Hug stamp also?
2. Oklahoma Statehood - Great. A boring stamp to commemorate a boring state.
3. Ella Fitzgerald - In theory, this could be a great stamp but come on, who designed it? Really, it looks like they used crayons. My 13 year old sister could design a better stamp then this one...it's kind of insulting.
4. Longfellow - Continuing the Literary Arts Series. Is there possibly a more boring poet than Longfellow?
5. Settlement of Jamestown - This stamp is interesting looking, it's triangular! However, I am hesitant to buy a stamp commemorating a settlement that had such poor relations with the indigenous people.
6. Wedding Hearts - Okay, just GAG me. These are just BARF-TASTIC. Are there really people who are getting married and use these horrid hideous hear stamps? Don't think you will see them on our wedding invitations. BARF!
7. Pollination - Usually the post office will do a spring flower stamp but I don't really like these. I suppose they are mildly interesting.
8. Pacific Lighthouses - Is there possibly a more boring and stereotypically old person subject than a lighthouse? Gag.
9. Actor James Stewart - Boring.
10. Marvel Super Heroes - This would be interesting except they did DC Comics this year. NEXT!
11. Tiffany Stained Glass - this has the potential to be cool but they picked a horribly boring image. Way to fuck it up USPS.
12. Vintage Mahogany Speedboats - It seems like they always do some kind of vintage transportation (cars, motorcycles, now boats) but I find those painfully dull.
13. Disney magic - They do a Disney stamp collection every year, I'm sick of it.
14. Okay now, prepare yourself for the motherload of all boring stamps.....a stamp commemorating....JURY DUTY. Yeah, jury duty. Wow, USPS, it takes mad skillz to be that boring.
15. Polar Lights - Pretty, but only two images? Why?
16. Holiday Knits - This is pretty cool, but very Senior Citizen. Each year they do a Holiday themed stamp, it was cookies, this year it is snow flakes and in 2007 it will be knitted things.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed my 2007 stamp recap. I'm really mad because I was hoping for a cool stamp to put on the wedding invitations but I don't think there is one. I promise it won't be those barfy hearts though.

See the stamps here.

3 Comments:

At 12:37 PM , Blogger TKP said...

Kim, I must admit that your 2007 Stamp Review roused my interest in a subject I never thought I'd show the least interest in. I actually found myself surfing the USPS website in disgust (JURY DUTY?? SERIOUSLY???). I also love your original neologisim "barf-tastic." Indeed, you've captured all of our sentiments re: the wedding hearts. One question though: if YOU were unilaterally in charge of the 2007 USPS Stamp Designs, what would be your top five theme picks?

-TKP

 
At 5:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow- the Jury Duty one is fucked up.
I vote for the Polar Lights. . .

 
At 11:59 AM , Blogger plumnbagel said...

Respectfully, you guys are wrong. Jury Duty is one of those mundane things that only the post office could celebrate. I mean, it kind of celebrates democracy in a way that seems naively, maybe even archaically, idealistic, you know? I'm sorry, I think it's charming.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home