Don't Trash the 'Nati

Monday, February 27, 2006

How did I get tricked into moving to such a hateful part of the country?

There is a column in the Cincinnati Enquirer today (which I have managed to avoid even looking at until today) called "The slippery slopes of Brokeback Mountain." Sigh. I'll give you one chance to guess what it's about. The Cincinnati Enquirer is supposed to be the more "liberal" of the two Cincinnati newspapers.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060226/COL05/602260350/1009/EDIT

Here are some highlights:

"Even cheesy recycled TV shows like the "Dukes of Hazzard" make the Best Picture nominees look like duds: "Brokeback," "Crash" (49), "Munich" (65), "Good Night and Good Luck" (91) and "Capote" (108).
But they all push politics like popcorn: gay marriage ("Brokeback"), racism ("Crash"), conservatives are McCarthyites ("Good Night"), sympathy for terrorists ("Munich") and anti-death penalty ("Capote").
I'm not saying "Wedding Crashers" is better than "Munich" or Chicken Little out-acted the sheep ropers in Brokeback - only that the Oscars are awarded more for politically correct propaganda than for excellence in art or entertainment."

"There were about 10 people in the audience when I saw Brokeback the other night. It was not as ugly or as beautiful as critics claim. The love scenes were first offensive, then just tiresome as desensitivity set in. But for me, it flopped. I just didn't care about the lost, damaged cowboys. As I watched Marlboro men making out, I couldn't stop a small voice in my head from asking, "What's wrong with this picture?"
In my politically incorrect opinion, this is what's wrong: It dishonestly portrays selfish betrayal of family and marriage as a brave struggle against repression, as if homosexual love is more noble than traditional marriage. It plants a sharp sexual thorn in the comfortable shoe of male friendships.
Behind the beauty is an agenda to drag America's cowboy heroes through prickly pear and recruit a vigilante posse to string up any tire-iron bigots who won't embrace gay marriage."

There - that about wraps it up.

You can send your hate mail to: pbronson@enquirer.com

2 Comments:

At 9:04 AM , Blogger Dana K said...

Horrible!!!! Just horrible!!!! This is offensive on so many levels. I'm sure this man would be thrilled if his daughter married someone who repressed his homosexuality out of the belief that traditional marriage is a more "noble" option.
F***er.

 
At 9:08 AM , Blogger Dana K said...

I get so worked up abt this subject,I have to add one more thing.I love how he implies that Brokeback Mountain has made the world unsafe for platonic male friendships.
HAHAHAHA!!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home