Don't Trash the 'Nati

Friday, June 23, 2006

I'm having a love affair. It's lasted for 11 years. I think Todd should know. My beau? Stephen Merrit and The Magnetic Fields. They reached a new level of fame in 2000 when they released the 69 Love Songs album. (Interestingly, most of the 69 love songs are actually about heartbreak and unrequited love.)

Todd has left me alone this Friday night so I tried playing countless games of free cell and watching America's Got Talent, but I still feel restless. I got out my pretty little iPod (which is wonderful, Emily, you are right!) and fooled around, not quite knowing what I wanted to listen to.

Of course, when nothing else cures the itch, you have to go with the Magnetic Fields. And not just any album, The Wayward Bus/Distant Plastic Trees. My older sisters introduced me to the Magnetic Fields when I was about 11 years old and I can honestly say that I have not ever stopped liking them. I have consistently listened to that particular album for the last 11 years. Half of my entire life. It never gets old. I remember sitting on the computer in my basement listening to the album over and over, repeating whatever song I was obsessed with at the moment, Old Orchard Beach, Falling in Love with Wolfboy, 100,000 Fireflies, etc. If you do not have this album, do yourself a favor and buy it today. While you're at it, pick up "The Charm of the Highway Strip" and "Holiday," too.

The Magnetic Fields have a song for every occassion. Even though the lyrics and be off the wall and trite, you are always able to find just what you are feeling at that moment.

I love you Stephen. If you weren't gay and ornery I would want to marry you.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home