Don't Trash the 'Nati

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

I need to come up with a new blog name for my St. Louis teaching blog. Obviously this name will no longer be appropriate. I am really at a loss for a catchy name. I think I could play off of Missouri's bizarre state motto - The Show-Me State. (Whatever THAT means?) Will anything ever be able to capture the essence of Don't Trash the Nati? I don't think so.

So this past weekend was my big wedding shower. It was, erm, full of surprises. Most importantly - I am going to be an aunt! But before you get too excited, the sister who is pregnant is my 19 year old, um, troubled sister. So imagine my surprise when my sister walks into my shower visibly pregnant and pretending like nothing is going on. In later conversations with her I learned that she is planning to keep the baby and raise it with her Kevin Federline Look alike boyfriend...I mean baby-daddy. In conversations with my mom her biggest relief is that Nicole did the right thing and "didn't kill it." Um, yeah mom. It's so much better that she is about to bring a potentially drug addicted baby into this world. Soooo much better. My mom hasn't given up pressing the adoption option with Nicole but I am not sure that Nicole is even going to give adoption much consideration.

So yay, hurray, right?

I'm just glad I'm not preggers.

Anyway, my shower was lovely and sweet. It was very classic - complete with a yellow rose corsage for me, the lady of honor. Todd and I made out like bandits! We were blown away with the generosity of our family and friends. Thanks to my Grandma we now have a complete set of beautiful flatware than actually matches. Todd is afraid to use it because it looks like a piece of art. Todd got his top of the line George Foreman grill complete with interchangeable plates. We have a bright red kitchen aid blender from my aunt which is fabulous! We've already begun to use our new bedding, 600 thread count sheets and a down comforter. I feel so grown up and fancy. I'm almost done with the thank you notes and they should go out later this week with my invitations!!!

This is really real people.

9 Comments:

At 12:34 PM , Blogger absolutegray said...

Hi, If you sister does consider adoption, we are looking to adopt privately and are homestudy approved! http://ouradoptionplan.com Thanks-Joanne

 
At 10:13 PM , Blogger absolutegray said...

Kim-I saw your posting on my blog site. I appreciate you passing our information on to your sister! We'd love to talk to her if she is considering adoption. Our number is toll free and I am very easy going. Good luck in all the work you do at the crisis center. It must be difficult at times, but yet rewarding to help women! Thanks again! Joanne

 
At 9:23 PM , Blogger amy said...

kim, when you wrote "todd and I made out like bandits," I had a really weird pictures in my head of you and todd necking at some nice garden bruncheon somewhere surrounded by ladies in sundresses.

 
At 7:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a birthmom, this needs to be a decision that SHE wants and you shouldnt pressure someone into doing something that they are not ready to do. It will cause alot of pain and suffering down the line. This baby could potentially "save" your sister by waking her up to reality and life.

 
At 7:39 PM , Blogger Kim said...

Anon - what gave you the impression that I am going to be pressuring my sister to do anything?

I also find the prospect that the baby is going to "save" my sister repulisve. How dare you give the baby a job to do before it is even born. I find it irresponsible that anybody would bring a child into the world with a job to do. People should become parents when they are ready.

 
At 8:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

give me a break, you know that is not what I meant. Sometimes children open ones eyes to what is important and then that person can change. You said potentially drug addicted, implying that your sister does drugs. while I have never done drugs I used to party alot and when I had my son (my first child) I realized what was important in life and I made a change. I did not imply that the baby was being born just to do a job. I guess I got the impression because you said my mom hasnt given up pressing the adoption option. I was never pressured into my "adoption option" but made my own choice and still it has been hard, years and years later it is still hard. It just needs to be a heartfelt decision.

 
At 12:22 PM , Blogger Kim said...

Anon - give me a break.

Sorry your experience was painful but I really don't see how it affects me at all.

I don't think it's fair to expect a baby...a human being...to be brought into the world in order to "Save" my sister. (Your words, not mine.) So what if she doesn't grow up. There are plenty of people like absolutegray who are ready and willing and eager to bring a child into their homes. It's not appropriate for my sister to not even consider that as an option and to hear about the reality of adoption.

 
At 12:22 PM , Blogger Kim said...

Anon - give me a break.

Sorry your experience was painful but I really don't see how it affects me at all.

I don't think it's fair to expect a baby...a human being...to be brought into the world in order to "Save" my sister. (Your words, not mine.) So what if she doesn't grow up. There are plenty of people like absolutegray who are ready and willing and eager to bring a child into their homes. It's not appropriate for my sister to not even consider that as an option and to hear about the reality of adoption.

 
At 8:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree...she should see it as an option. I didnt say it was "painful" I said it has been hard, it is always hard to give up or lose a child. My expierence with adoption has been the most beautiful and unsuall case EVER. I am still very close to the adoptive parents and see each other all the time. We have a totally open adoption. I never meant to imply that she bring a child into the world to save her, what I meant was that it might have that affect on her after the baby is born. I didnt bring my son into the world to save me either. It just happened that once he was here I felt a love and responsibility that I had never felt before, it really opened my eyes. My son is my first child, he is 13. I had him when I was 19. My daughter is 10, she is the one that I placed for adoption. Because I knew how hard it was to raise a child as a single mom. So I have been through both of these situations. If you can forgive my comments that offended you I would be happy to e-mail my story to you about both sides so you can let her read it, I would be more than happy to do that. It could help her make a more informed decision from someone who has been on both sides of the spectrum. I am a single parent and I am also a birthmom. Both have been hard for different reasons. I dont regret either decision, not even for a second. (even on the hard days!)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home