Don't Trash the 'Nati

Thursday, September 01, 2005

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050831/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_safrica_rape

HAHAHAHAHA!

Wonderful! I just wonder why I didn't think of this first?

Today I am listening to a book on tape, because it is my 94th birthday. It's not really my birthday, at least not for another 26 days. Actually, I went to the library and borrowed some books on tape (actual tape! It's been a long time since I have used my tape deck) for my long car journey back to Michigan this weekend. Todd becomes the music nazi when we are driving, and refuses to let me play any of my music, so I am cutting him off and playing books on tape. I decided to listen to a little bit of one to see if I liked it, and I really like it! I am on side two of tape 3, so I suppose this one will not be played on the car journey...as I do not want to go back three hours.

I am going to Michigan this weekend for my second cousin Jane's wedding. As Todd and I will be in Michigan, we are obliged to see his family. This means that we are driving from Cinci to Farmington to Crystal (an hour north of Lansing) to Grand Rapids to Cinci. I spoke with my mom yesterday and she asked if I was still coming. Of course, I replied. She said, well, with gas so expensive, I just didn't know if you could afford it.

There are many things wrong with this comment.

First: If I was getting married, I would be so offended if somebody RSVP's to say they would be in attendance, and then at the last minute decided not to come because gas went up 30 cents. When you make a commitment, to something important like a wedding, you follow through on your committeeman. It makes me wonder if my mom is going to bail out on my wedding, because gas prices are so expensive.

Second: A kind set of parents would understand that I am going through a tight financial situation and say, since this is a family member's wedding, and you are going through all the trouble of driving 4 1/2 hours to get here, we will give you a bit of money for gas. I mean, I would do that, instead of saying, gas is expensive, so you shouldn't come, never mind that I am not going to see you until Christmas.

My dad once told me that he didn't worry about me, because he knew I was going to be fine in life. If my mom's sentiments about me are similar, then it would explain how she treats me. I just feel so ignored. I've spent my whole life trying to get my parents attention, and it's seems like it is torture for them to show me a shred of acknowledgement that I am even alive. I mean, I can't remember the last time my dad actually *asked* me how I was doing, or what was going on in my life, and I don't think he has *ever* called me since I have gone away to school four years ago. My mom always treats me like it is so much of a hassle to remember to call me, let alone visit me. And when I do manange to contact her, she can't be happy for my happiness, excitement or anything. As if, expressing happiness for me is just admitting her own depression.

Sometimes I wonder how such bizarro parents created such a wonderful, productive member of society.

1 Comments:

At 9:38 AM , Blogger Dana K said...

I wonder the same thing. And have you ever noticed that Dad loves to make those kinds of statements about his kids? He used to say the same thing to me. (Not that it matters, because I don't think he devotes much time to worrying about any of us anyway.)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home