Don't Trash the 'Nati

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Yesterday I went to the Cinicinnati NOW meeting. The topic of the meeting was Wal-Mart, and I am very excited to have a feminist community to interact with. All the women were much older than me, one of them told me she has been active in Cincinnati NOW since 1972! Everybody has cool jobs, too. One works for the Cincinnati Housing Coalition, one is a nurse in an abortion clinic, a couple worked as Union organizers. The vice president told me that in a joking manner that if I stuck around for a few meetings, they would give me a title. I've already offered to write articles for the newsletter.

One of the women gave me the names of two people to contact about jobs; they are the executive director of the YWCA and the Rape Crisis and Abuse Center. I have contacted one of them who told me about two jobs, although they are going to make a decision soon, I submitted my resume, but I am not going to get my hopes up. (Although I know they should hire me.)

I went to a shoe store in Hyde Park today and that looks promising as a part-time job. I also got up the courage to go to the Realtor down the street and gave them a resume, telling them that I was interested in learning more about Real Estate in Cincinnati and if there were any job openings, to consider me. They seemed somewhat interested, but they could have been being nice.

Later this week I have my bookclub meeting. I getting nervous since it is my turn to choose a book, and I don't really know what to choose. Any suggestions?

1 Comments:

At 10:00 PM , Blogger Dana K said...

Kim,
here are some suggestions:
(Sorry, I have not been able to keep up w/ new books lately, these are all older)
Middlesex- Jeffrey Eugenides (can't remember if you read this already, but it is so awesome!)
The Shipping News- Annie Proulx- I am reading this right now and I really like it
Brick Lane- Monica Ali- about a Pakistani woman in London
The Power of One- just finished this, about a kid growing up in South Africa during apartheid, I really liked it!
A Fine Balance- Rohinton Mistry- I love this book- great characters- takes place during Partition in India

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home